YOUR NEW TATTOO IS A VULNERABLE OPEN WOUND. PLEASE TREAT IT LIKE THAT.
AFTERCARE PLAYS A HUGE PART IN THE FINAL APPEARANCE OF YOUR TATTOO.
PLEASE READ THE LISTS BELOW AND FOLLOW THEM CAREFULLY.
1. The healing process will take up to 4 weeks. Please follow instructions throughout this period of time and be patient with your skin.
2. Avoid direct sunlight on the new tattoo. NO SUNSCREEN WHEN YOUR TATTOO IS STILL HEALING. (However, please always apply strong sunscreen on your tattoo AFTER it’s healed, if you are going to have sun exposure.)
3. Avoid soaking your tattoo in water - no bathing, no swimming, no surfing, no diving, no sauna, etc. Stop exercising for at least 3 days as your sweat can soak it too.
4. If you have a pet, keep them away from your tattoo. Especially avoid contact with their fur and saliva.
5. ALWAYS HANDLE YOUR NEW TATTOO WITH CLEAN HANDS.
6. Ointment options: Cetaphil, Aquaphor, Vitamin A & D lotion. All non-scented. No vaseline. No Neosporin. No aloe vera. No oil based lotion.
7. If you suspect your tattoo is getting infected, ASK YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY.
1. It is waterproof. Feel free to take showers with it (yay!).
2. Please leave it on for about two days.
3. You might see discharges appearing and your tattoo might look “smudged“ under second skin. It is totally normal.
4. Please peel off the second skin in shower. Wash your tattoo with mild/non-scented soap immediately. Use your hands to rub off all the extra ink, blood, and plasma. Do not rub it with a towel - it will hurt! Tap dry very gently with a CLEAN towel or soft tissue. Apply a THIN layer of ointment on the tattoo - do not over apply! (Please wash and take care of your tattoo in this way throughout the healing process.)
5. Your tattoo might get “printed“ onto second skin when you peel it off. It is normal too. Your tattoo is still there:)
6. There’s small chance you might experience allergic reaction to second skin. If you experience redness and itchiness around the edge of the second skin please just peel it off and wash your tattoo.
FIRST FEW DAYS AFTER SECOND SKIN:
1. Your tattoo is very vulnerable when you just peel off the second skin. It is a large open wound with no protective layer on.
2. Wash your tattoo at least once a day (follow instructions above) but lotion ONLY ONCE A DAY. Again, a thin layer will be sufficient. Do not cake it with lotion.
3. Minimize your exercise.
4. ALWAYS KEEP YOUR TATTOO CLEAN - wash hands before handling it, wear clean clothes, use clean beddings, keep pets away from it.
ONE WEEK AFTER SECOND SKIN:
1. Scabs will start to form. Your tattoo might appear flaky. DON’T PICK AT THEM. You might pick the ink out of your skin and the tattoo will heal poorly.
2. Some flakes might appear to be black. It looks weird but is totally normal.
3. Your tattoo might feel itchy as the flakes keep forming. DON’T SCRATCH IT. Same thing, your might damage your tattoo by doing so. Gently pat or rub on it (with clean hands!)
4. Once again, keep your tattoo clean! Protective layer is forming, but that doesn’t mean your tattoo is safe for your cat to lick, yet.